Once again the Premier League are launching their Writing Stars competition for KS1 and KS2 pupils and we want as many schools in Derby to get involved!
Last year’s Premier League Writing Stars competition, “Try, Try, Again”, saw a KS2 pupil from Lawn Primary School win the local competition and receive a DCFC themed Christmas party for their friends as well as a KS1 pupil from Allenton Primary School who received an highly commended award from the National competition with her poem published in the Premier League Poetry book.
This year the Premier League have set the challenge of basing the poems on the theme of diversity, using inspiration from the poem written specially for Premier League Writing Stars, Beautifully different, Wonderfully the same by Joseph Coelho. The poem and subject encourage us to think of ways to celebrate similarities and differences that bring us together, and these are themes that run through this programme.
Click here to view Joseph Coelho’s poem for inspiration.
Like last year Derby County Community Trust will be running a local competition as well as entering all schools into the regional and national competition.
Deadline for DCCT entries – Friday 14th December
All poems submitted to DCCT will be automatically entered into the national competition by DCCT staff.
All entries will need to be posted to Derby County Community Trust, 14 Pride Point Drive, Derby, DE24 8BX or emailed to [email protected]. Alternatively arrange for one of our members of staff to come and collect your poems.
Winners will be announced in January.
Deadline for National competition – Friday 21st December
Poems submitted directly to the PL Primary Stars website will not automatically be included in the DCCT local competition and will need to be submitted separately.
Winners will be announced in March.
Prizes for local winners:
- Rammie’s Special Guest Package
- Signed DCFC Shirt
- Poem to be featured in the Matchday programme
Prizes for regional winners and national winners:
- Poems published in an official Premier League Writing Stars book with bespoke illustrations
- An invitation to a national celebration event and the chance to meet other poets and special guests
- A framed version of the winning poems
- Poetry book bags for all winners’ schools
Prizes for national winners:
- A Premier League Trophy visit to your school
- A visit to your school by a children’s author or poet to lead a poetry workshop
- Winning poems read aloud by one of our star judges